Sermon: “Christian Atheist: Do We Really Believe in God?” Part III: “Selected Idols”
Scripture: Matthew 6:25-34
“Christian Atheist: Do We Really Believe in God?”
Part III: “Selected Idols”
Christian Atheists’ “Selected Idols”.
1) Christian atheists believe in God but still worry all the time. (Matthew 6:25-34)
Worry is not your friend (Philippians 4:6).
Anything not coming from God is sin (Romans 14:23).
Develop freedom from worry (Philippians 4:7).
No Matter what happens, trust God (Jeremiah 29:11).
2) Christian atheists believe in God, but pursue happiness at all cost. Many believe that better possessions, peaceful circumstances, thrilling experiences, right relationships, and perfect appearances equal happiness. Do we really know what happiness is?
Happiness is not the point of life; only God brings true happiness (Matthew 6:33).
Sin is often pleasurable and seems to deliver happiness (Hebrews 11:25).
We are called to be more than happy. Makavios (Greek).
3) Christian atheists believe in God but trust more in money. “In God, or in money, do we trust?”
In money we trust (Luke 12:34).
No one can serve 2 masters (Luke 16:13)
- When is enough, enough?
- Give till it hurts (2 Samuel 24:24).
- Joy of sacrificial giving (2 Corinthians 8:10-12, 2 Corinthians 9:6-8).
Put God first in your life and love your neighbor as yourself and you will have no room for idols, false gods, or false teachings. You will be a “Recovering Christian Atheist”, one again on your way home.