Sermon: What Does God Expect From Us?
Scripture: Matthew 13:31-35
“What Does God Expect From Us?”
“There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why… I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
- Kingdom of God (Faith): A true small faith will grow into a larger true faith. Faith grows when properly planted; like a small mustard seed. (Matthew 13:31)
- Kingdom of Heaven is like yeast that spreads throughout the bread dough. It affects the whole loaf. (Matthew 13:33)
- Jesus spoke to the people only in parables to fulfill the prophecies of who He is and so they could understand what God expected of them. (Matthew 13:34-35)
The Three Great Commandments: Three?
- First two: Make God first in our lives and love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:36-40)
- The Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-19)
Question: “Why have these three Great Commandments not been successfully applied?”
Answer: We have a hole in the Gospel we teach and preach. That hole is us!
- “Why could we not do it?” the disciples asked. (Matthew 17:19-20)
- The Kingdom of God is within you; within all of us. (Luke 17:20-21)
- How are the mountains of the world moved? How are world problems solved?
- Not all in one big step or by one important person.
- Not in one political election, or by one political party, or one new person in office.
- Not by one earthly transforming act or new law.
- Not by one judge, judicial ruling or new legislation.
- We move a mountain one shovel of dirt at a time.
- We change / transform the world one soul at a time.
Facts: The reason our world is not following God or changing for the better is because we have a hole in our Gospel, and that hole is you and me! We talk about change and transformation, meaning and purpose, but we are not living or teaching the whole truth; we are not teaching the whole Gospel. The challenge is: When will we stop just talking about faith and start really living it?
How do you see the world? Is it troubled? Lost? Fallen? We can and must make a difference. We are God’s “Plan A”. There is no “Plan B”. Without action from us, creation will continue to fall!
The harvest is great, but workers are few (Matthew 9:35-38). Will you join?