Sermon: “Weird, Because Normal Is Not Working!” Part 2 “Money”
Scripture: Ecclesiastes 5:8-20
“Weird: Because Normal Isn’t Working”
Part II: “Money”
Most Americans simply do not know or appreciate how wealthy we really are, nor do we as a country seem to know what to do with money. Consider the following:
- Most of us don’t consider ourselves rich.
- Most know somebody who is rich but we’d NEVER spend money like they do.
- Rich people never seem to be satisfied; I would be.
- The poorest Americans = top 5% of the world’s wealthiest people.
- Wealth is all consuming.
How the Bible looks at wealth and money:
- Whoever loves money will never have enough or be satisfied (Ecclesiastes 5:10).
- As goods increase, so do those that consume them (Ecclesiastes 5:11).
- Laborers sleep well, rich people seldom do (Ecclesiastes 5:12).
- Wealth hoarded harms the owner (Ecclesiastes 5:15).
- Naked we come into this world, naked we leave it; you can’t take it with you (Ecclesiastes 5:15).
- When God gives wealth and allows us to enjoy it and be happy in our work he has blessed us! (Ecclesiastes 5:19)
1 Timothy 6:17-19 tells us the purpose of receiving wealth/being wealthy and how we are to live as wealthy people.
- The wise store up; the rich consume (Proverbs 21:20).
- One pretends to be rich yet has nothing (Proverbs 13:7).
- Godliness with contentment (1 Timothy 6:6-8).
- Do not love the world or its things as they will pass away (1 John 2:15-17.
- Better to have little with a healthy fear of God than to be rich without God (1 John 2:15-17).
- Generosity results in thanksgiving and glory to God (2 Corinthians 9-11)!
3 Stages of “Generous Eyes”
- Spontaneous Giving
- Strategic Giving
- Sacrificial Giving
The Bible calls us to be “Cheerful in our giving”. The world tells us such thoughts are just weird and we need to “gather our stuff”. Yet in this church there is absolute proof of how God blesses His people when they begin to look through “Generous Eyes”. I challenge us all today to keep those “Generous Eyes” in place. We have come so far in the last 2 years… Now let us take another huge leap of faith… Let us become weird with our money and resources, and get ready to receive all that God wants to give us! Be weird and receive your blessings!