Sermon: “God is for You”
Scripture: Luke 18:9-14
“God is for You”
Question: If Jesus hung around with “those people”, what would happen if they came to our church? What message would they receive from us? God is for you? Get lost? Welcomeness or judgment? Rumors? Gossip? Christian love and understanding? Would they come to know our loving God is for them too?
- Jesus rebukes the Pharisee for no compassion/mercy and his prideful nature.
- The lowly, sinful tax collector went home justified. Why?
- He recognized what he was and called out for God’s mercy and grace.
- Have we repented lately? Called out for God’s mercy and grace? Are we still prideful?
If we claim to be a second chance church what might such a church look like?
- Recognizes the mess the world is in; no sugar coating the truth!
- Realizing we are all “co-workers”. (I Corinthians 3:6-9)
- Recognizing God’s true salvation plan. (Matthew 9:11-13)
- Realizing we are all part of God’s plan/body. (I Corinthians 12:27)
- We must lose the pretense. Don’t judge but rather teach, encourage, counsel, challenge, direct, send forth and disciple.
- It is not Us Vs. Them! We must hold each other accountable in Christian love!
- All people are part of God’s creation masterpiece.
a) Clean the cup inside and out.
b) Confess your sins to each other.
How are we doing as one of God’s masterpieces? Are we helping others to see that God is for them too? Or are we too busy in our own worlds, lives and lifestyles to make sure they know God’s love?
If you believe God’s word then you know nothing can stop us (Romans 8:31-33)!