Assurance Sunday – “Assurance: Are You Sure?”
Scripture: Philippians 2:12-18
“Assurance: Are You Sure?”
The Bible tells us many will end up going to Hell. Matthew 7:21-23. Are you assured of your salvation?
- Obedience is fundamental to true assurance. (Philippians 2:12)
- We are called to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. (Philippians 2:13)
- God is at work within us with intention and good purpose / direction. (Philippians 2:13)
- We are to do everything without complaining or arguing. (Philippians 2:14)
- We are to remain blameless and shine like a star for all to see. (Philippians 2:15)
- Hold out the “Good News” for all to see and hear. (Philippians 2:16)
- If called to sacrifice do it gladly in faith and with rejoicing. (Philippians 2:17-18)
Signs of Assurance
- Sin/humanness separates us from God. (Romans 3:23)
- The way back to God is Christ. (John 14:6)
- All forgiveness is contingent upon admitting doing wrong with a contrite heart.(Acts 20:21)
- Jesus’ death on the cross was the focal point of God’s salvation plan. (Romans 10:9)
- Salvation restores our relationship with God. (Romans 8:2)
- God has already done everything necessary to provide our salvation. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- Belief leads to assurance; non-belief and disobedience leads to doubt.
Common Assurance Questions
- How do I know for sure that God wants me to accept His gift of salvation? (Luke 15:3-7)
- Is salvation really a part of God’s plan for my life? (1 Thessalonians 5:9)
- How do I know God will forgive me? I’ve been very sinful. (1 John 1:9)
- What does God expect of me after I accept salvation? (Ephesians 4:1-3)
- Don’t I need to straighten out my life before I can receive salvation? (Romans 5:8)
- New life in Christ; transformation. Transformation demands lifestyle changes.
- The Bible. Read it daily.
- Prayer. Pray continuously.
- Fellowship. Do we have time for others? Do we care?
- Witnessing. Telling our salvation story.
- Service. Helping the lost, needy, sick, shut-ins and others in need or trouble.
Following these responses, actions and fruit will lead to total assurance of salvation.
Call to Assurance
No matter where you are, God loves you and wants you assured so you may receive His peace!