Let’s Go Over to Bethlehem and Find: The Promise of Christmas (2011)
Scripture: Matthew 1:16-25
“Let’s Go Over to Bethlehem and Find:
The Promise of Christmas”
In the Bible we find the word “promise” used in many passages:
- The Story of Moses, the Pharoah and the Red Sea.
- Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.
- David and Goliath.
- The prophecies of Isaiah and the Coming Messiah (Isaiah 7:14).
- Jesus on the Cross; God was still with Him in His darkest hour.
Throughout the Bible God gives us this promise of being with us all the times of our lives both good and bad. Nowhere is this promise of “God with us” more powerful than at Christmas as we come to understand God’s salvation plan for us. He would be with us in a completely new way in life, death and resurrection of His son Jesus Christ. Jesus is the complete and total fulfillment of God’s salvation plan and the promise of “God with us” all in one.
If we have faith to accept God’s promise of “God with us”, what can we expect from the powerful and loving Christmas promise?
- When we are frightened: God is with us! No more paralyzing fear.
- When we are lonely: If we understand God’s love then we are never alone!
- 3) When we are experiencing sorrow or loss: God can and will fill the void!
No matter what we’ve done, past, present or future, God desires to be with us! Come, claim the wonderful Christmas promise; Immanuel, God is with us!
To learn more about the messages in this sermon, please take a look at the study guide by James W. Moore available on Amazon.com