Sermon: “Let’s Go Over to Bethlehem and Find: The Peace of Christmas (2011)”
Scripture: Luke 2:8-14
“Let’s Go Over to Bethlehem and Find:
The Peace of Christmas”
One of the most wonderful things Christmas brings to us is the gift of Peace. But how do we get this Peace?
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.”
–Luke 2:14 NIV
“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”
–Luke 2:14 KJV
God extended this goodwill, or favor, to all humanity, but only those who are willing to be obedient and faithful to God are those who actually be able to be blessed by God with this Good News! Do you want this peace?
In his study, James Moore suggests that there are three ways Christmas brings us Peace:
- Christmas brings Us Peace Within
- The Word of God revives the soul, warms our heart toward God and changes our life anew. If we receive it, we become a new creation, just as we see in Handel’s life.
- James Moore wrote in this study that what had happened to George Frederick Handel is that he experienced Christmas that day.
- On that day, Handel experienced “on earth peace, goodwill toward men” It was a life-changing event for him.
- Christmas brings Us Peace with Others
- 1 Corinthians 7:15
- Since God is calling us to live in peace with others, when we receive Christ in true faith, the peace we now have within us, should also produce peace within our relationships with others.
- “By giving Glory to God in the Highest…” , “By doing all in our power to promote “on earth peace, goodwill toward men.” – B.T. Roberts
- I urge you to allow the Christ of Christmas to work in your heart, so that you may find the peace with others that Christmas offers us.
- Christmas brings us peace with God
- Moore says that “The Christ of Christmas is our personal Savior because there is a hole in our souls that only he can fill.”
- Hark the herald Angels sing,
Glory to the new born king;
Peace on earth and mercy mild,
God and sinners reconciled.”
The faith of Christmas brings us:
- Peace within – this can only come from God as we place our faith & trust in what Christ came and did for us on the Cross.
- Peace with others – God calls us to peace with others, but our personal relationships with others are made new only through the peace that God offers.
- Peace with God – when we receive Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior, the faith of Christmas brings us reconciliation with God, which in turn brings us peace within our hearts, and peace in all aspects of life.