Sermon: “Let’s Go Over to Bethlehem and Find: The Christ of Christmas (2011)”
Scripture: Luke 2:1-21
“Let’s Go Over to Bethlehem and Find:
The Christ of Christmas”
The Shepherds noticed an angel of the Lord (Luke 2:8-14)
- Noticed God’s Glory; they were terrified (Luke 2:9)
- Angel told them not to be scared (Luke 2:10)
- Good news and great joy were coming to them (Luke 2:10)
- The Christ Child was being born (Luke 2:11-12)
- Jerusalem was crowded yet only the shepherds saw the angel; not everyone sees Jesus (Luke 2:9)
- They noticed things and glorified God (Luke 2:13-14)
They went to see the Christ Child (Luke 2:15-20)
- Shepherds had their priorities straight; they dropped everything to see the Christ Child (Luke 2:15)
- They rushed to find the Christ Child (Luke 2:16)
- They spread the news of what the Angel said to them (Luke 2:17)
- All who heard were amazed (Luke 2:18)
- The shepherds belonged in the G.N.T. Club (Group that Notices Things)
- They returned glorifying and praising God (Luke 2:20)
They saw the good news of Christmas; Christ!
- Shepherds identified the reason for the season; Christ!
- If Christ is in our hearts, no one can steal Christmas from us.
- Real Christmas joy is not based on gifts, presents or worldly stuff.
- The only real gift for Christmas is God’s gift of Jesus.
- The Shepherds were true charter members of the G.N.T Club. Are we?
Do we notice God’s desire to guide and direct our lives or do we insist on our own way? Are we enslaved by entitlement? Are we no longer aligned with God’s word, will and way? Do we only care for ourselves? Are we enslaved as a part of the “me generation”?
This Christmas, things can change, but it is totally up to us. If our lives are not where we want them to be why do we need to change? This Christmas, let us return to a Christmas that truly features and highlights Christ. Welcome Him into your hearts and watch the blessings flow.
It’s up to us; the same old Christmas as usual? Or a Christmas centered around Christ, change, love and transformation. Christmas is coming; are we truly ready?