Sermon: “Reconciliation – Part 3 – Secular Happiness Vs. Spiritual Joy
Scripture: Romans 1:20-25
“Reconciliation – Part 3
Secular Happiness Vs. Spiritual Joy”
When we ask ourselves why reconciliation and forgiveness is not metered out fairly and with Christian love, we need to realize that what we are in reality saying is that there is something more important to us than reconciliation and forgiveness: mainly our idols!
In our scripture lesson today, Paul shows us that idolatry is not just one kind of sin but what is fundamentally wrong with the human heart. Because there are idols in our lives and heart we find we cannot reconcile or forgive; something else has become more important to us than God’s callings and commands.
- Idolatry is always the reason we do everything we do wrong. (Romans 1:20)
- God’s power has always been seen so man has no excuse. (Romans 1:20)
- Although man knows God, many choose not to glorify Him and therefore remain foolish, disobedient and in darkness. (Romans 1:21-22)
- They exchange God’s glory and eternal life for images made by man that seem to have secular importance. (Romans 1:23)
- Therefore, because of their idolatry, God gave them over to the desires of their hearts which leads to the degrading of their bodies and lives. (Romans 1:24)
- They exchanged the truth of God for the lies of men. (Romans 1:24)
- They worshiped their idols instead of their God and lost their eternal and earthly way. (Romans 1:25)
In today’s world, relationships are often contingent upon happiness instead of God’s joy.
- If I could have anything in the world what would it be and how long would it make me happy?
- Do I know what would really make me happy?
If reconciliation, forgiveness and happiness seem to avoid you, perhaps it is time to be honest and take a good look at the idols in our lives. What are we putting before God? Are we letting the idols of work, security, health, pride, family, control and relationships come before God?
Lose the idols and keep God first in your lives. Put God first in all things and be willing to reconcile, forgive, love and live, and accept God’s blessing of total Godly Joy!