Sermon: “Let’s Go and Grow”
Scripture: 1 Corinthians 3:5-11
“Let’s Go and Grow”
I) To invite is to evangelize.
II) Why is it so difficult to evangelize in today’s world and churches?
- Non-evangelistic attitudes have infected our churches today.
- This is our Church and we don’t do things that way.
- If God wanted us to grow, He’d send us more people.
- Evangelism is difficult, costly, hard work and not rewarding enough for us to spend resources on.
- You could hurt someone’s feelings and turn them away from God.
- I’m too old to evangelize. I’m not gifted. I’m not interested.
- Fear of failure or rejection
- No knowledge or training on how to do evangelize.
- Biblical ignorance will keep some from trying to evangelize.
- Christians today are seldom able to defend their faith.
III) What can we do to overcome these fears?
- District and conference training events like the Grow Conference.
- Training programs within the local church.
- Continuous individual and church prayer warriors praying for our efforts.
- Training and development in our Biblical knowledge.
- Apologetics classes: defending our Christian faith.
- Teach and preach that to be a true Christian means to be involved in evangelism and bringing the lost home to Christ.
- Discipling and mentoring training classes for Spiritual development of our leaders and the growth and development of all we meet are crucial to evangelism.
Questions for all to ask:
- Do I believe in evangelism? Why?
- Do I understand evangelism as “inviting”?
- What does our church currently do to invite?
- What could our church do to invite?
- Do we have any programs or ministries currently in place to invite?
- How does our pastor view evangelism?
- Can our church grow by being a more evangelistic congregation? If not, why?
- What will I do differently when I get home to bring more evangelistic effort to our church?
If we can’t do evangelism, will our church be here in 50 years?