False Teachings – Part 4: Jehovah’s Witnesses: The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society
Scripture: Ephesians 6:10-13
False Teachings – Part 4:
“Jehovah’s Witness: The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society”
Jehovah’s Witness: is this a religion truly based upon the teachings of Jesus?
The Watchtower Society was started by Charles T. Russel. He did not like the Bible’s teachings of Hell and eternal judgment or the teaching of the Trinity. Russel began to develop his own theology which he published as “The Studies of Scripture” in the ate 1870’s and published the first Watchtower Magazine in the early 1880’s.
Conflicts with Christianity:
- Jesus was a created being – not God, a creature.
- Jesus was actually Michael, the Archangel.
- Jesus was not resurrected bodily but as a spirit being.
- Jesus returned invisibly in 1914.
- Jesus was only a man when on earth, not God or the Son of God.
- The Holy Spirit is only an active force, not the person of God.
- Hell is simply the grave.
- Heaven’s doors are only open to 144,000 people.
- Salvation is found only through the organization, not belief in Jesus as Lord and Savior.
- Salvation is maintained by energetic works for the organization, then one “merits” eternal life on earth.
- Satan is the author of the Trinity.
- Jesus is not to be worshiped but only honored as Jehovah’s first creation.
The Conflicting Truths of the Bible Compared to Watchtower Beliefs:
- God exists in a Trinity of three eternal and co-equal persons.
- The Father. (Romans 1:7)
- The Son. (John 20:28)
- The Holy Spirit. (Acts 5:3-4)
- Jesus is no less than God in human flesh. (Colossians 2:9)
- God, the Holy Spirit, is the 3rd member of the Holy Trinity. (Matthew 28:19, Acts 13:2)
- Jesus rose bodily from the grave. (Luke 24:39)
- Jesus is visibly coming again to set up His kingdom on earth. (Matthew 24:30, Revelation 1:7)
- Salvation is in the person of Jesus Christ and comes through faith in Him. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
- It is the work of God for man, not a work of man for God that saves.(Titus 3:4-6)
- Jesus was and should be worshiped. (John 20:26-28)
Verdict: We need to remember that anyone who denies the deity of Jesus carries the heavy burden of a false religious spirit and will go through many highs and lows.
Perhaps the most false teaching by Jehovah’s Witnesses is their doctrine concerning Christ and the Trinity. Where they deny the Trinity and that Jesus was a part of it, they deny the trinity as three separate Gods. This is polytheism, and Christianity is clearly not polytheism. Once again we find that the teachings of the Jehovah’s Witness, Watchtower Organization falls way beyond the boundaries of Christian faith.
We are called in love and Godly relationship to expose this lie and release the truth of the “Good News” of Jesus Christ to our brothers and sisters who are enslaved by this “False Teaching”.