How are we doing with our stuff? Do we choose to place our trust in earthly stuff, or can we set aside our greed and focus on the eternal stuff? Let us count our blessings and be grateful for our only true security; Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior!
Parable of the Rich Fool – Luke 12:13-21
1. Immediate problem is about money and an inheritance (Luke 12:13). Financial problems often divide families and relationships. Trust is lost.
2. Jesus’ response: Who appointed him judge? (Luke 12:14).
3. Warning: Be on guard against greed (Luke 12:15).
4. A man’s life is not solely about wealth, security, or financial status.
5. Jesus tells them this parable: Luke 12:16-20
- Blessing: Rich man produced good crop.
- Blessing: Has storage problem; cup overflows.
- Control: I will build bigger buildings.
- Plans: I will have security; I will take life easy.
- Conflict leading to eternal loss: God says, “You fool! This very night your life will be demanded of you. Who then will get your stuff?”.
This is how it will be for anyone who stores up stuff for themselves to be rich in earthly things, but not rich towards God! (Luke 12:21).
How are we doing with our stuff? Do we really understand the only true security we have is in Jesus Christ as Lord & Savior? Which do we choose to put our trust in: earthly stuff, or eternal stuff (Jesus)?
This thanksgiving, let us count our blessings and truly be grateful for our only true security, Jesus Christ, our Lord & Savior. Praise God!